The May long weekend has come and gone and now summer feels like it’s ‘officially’ here.
Long weekends are amazing and usually involve yummy food, socializing and the great outdoors. If you’re anything like me, you love the long weekend for those reasons- the get-togethers, the BBQ’s and sunshine.
Those are all great things, however, we can find that by the end of the long weekend, we’re feeling the need to ‘Get Back On Track.’
My tendency used to be to overly restrict calories after indulging, but this only led to another indulgence later on because it wasn’t sustainable, and made me feel like I was punishing myself.
What I came to realize is that overly restricting calories means your body will end up with serious nutrient deprivation and you’ll end up with cravings in order to get those nutrients back in your body, and ultimately you’ll gain the weight back, possibly with more than you had to begin with.
So, if you’re looking to get back on track, these TIPS will help you do that.
1. Have Breakfast. This will kickstart your metabolism and helps set you up for balanced blood sugar, which will reduce cravings and keep your energy levels up. Include protein, fats and carbs at your first meal of the day.
2. Hydrate. Water is necessary to flush out toxins and increase your energy. Water is essential for every system in your body to function well so be sure to drink at least 8 glasses a day.
3. Have Snacks. Get back in the routine of eating regular balanced meals spread throughout the day, with snacks in between, if needed. It’s important to keep your metabolism going so you can avoid an energy crash, which in turn could cause another binge. Raw mixed nuts and fruit are great snack options.
4. Include Protein and healthy fats with your meals. Eating protein at every meal will help curb your cravings for refined carbs. Protein and Fats take longer to digest and are a slow-burning fuel, keeping your energy levels up and reducing the need for quick-fixes when your energy crashes.
5. Start working out regularly. Once you get into the habit of working out regularly, your body will crave it and you’ll miss it when you don’t do it. Find something you enjoy, and remember, it doesn’t have to be at a gym. Just get your body moving. The sooner you get back on track, the sooner you’ll start feeling better about yourself.
Until next time,
P.S. To help you get back on track more easily, join my FREE 5-DAY SUGAR-FREE CHALLENGE so you can easily say NO to the foods that are keeping you stuck (it has NOTHING to do with your willpower, btw!)
As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, May Anne's passion is working with women who have lost themselves in the busyness of life and don't feel comfortable in their skin anymore. She uses a step-by-step program that includes nutrition and lifestyle strategies, along with coaching and support, leading them to feeling vibrant, energetic and confident in their skin, without dieting or spending hours in the kitchen.