The more I talk to first-time clients, the more I realize how many people initially think that weight loss and healthy eating is an “all-or-nothing” thing, and that if they commit to healthy changes they’ll have something taken away, that it’s removing their freedom in a sense.
I question them on whether or not they actually feel free in their life when they eat whatever they want.
Most people say no, because they know deep inside that food is controlling them and they feel a sense of guilt and shame when they allow themselves to eat whatever they feel like.
True freedom comes from the ability to say no to things that are harmful for us.
(Don't feel like reading? That's ok, I've got you covered. Just watch the video above - it contains the same information!)
Freedom is also being able to do the things we enjoy in life without being physically or mentally restricted from doing so.
Having the physical ability to go for a family hike, to me, is freedom.
Feeling confident in form-fitting clothing to me is freedom.
Not being able to join your friends or family at the beach because you’re too embarrassed to be seen in a bathing suit, to me indicates a lack of freedom.
I know it doesn’t have to be that way, and I want other women to know that regardless of where they are in their health journey right now, they can move towards a life of freedom.
We were all created to be free. I think a lot of resistance towards changing how we eat and how we live has to do with that thought of having things taken away.
I want to challenge you to think the opposite. When you choose your food based on what it can do for you, when think of food as fuel for your body and give it what it needs to thrive, think of the freedom you will gain.
I’m going to be a little vulnerable here and share my age with you. I’m in my mid 40’s, and honestly, I feel way better now than I did twenty years ago.
Twenty years ago, I wasn’t thinking about food as fuel for my body and I ate whatever I felt like.
Although I wasn’t overweight, I felt pretty yucky most of the time. I was tired, bloated, had candida and IBS, and at the time, I didn’t even correlate how I felt with what I ate.
Now that I’ve studied it and seen first hand the difference that food choices can make, I’m intentional with the way I eat and exercise.
It doesn’t mean never having the foods you love. I love food.
I personally live by the 80/20 rule, where 80% of the time I am intentional about eating whole, live foods as close to nature as possible, and I can choose to indulge the other 20% of the time.
Once I got into the routine of being purposeful about what I ate, and started thinking about food as nourishment for my body, I actually started to crave good food and the way it makes me feel. It’s the same with exercise.
It’s always hard to start at first, but then with consistency, it turns into a habit and it becomes your norm, and you actually start to miss it when you don’t do it because it makes you feel so good.
So, I hope this has helped you to think a little differently about making healthy changes, that it’s a step towards freedom, not away from it.
I would love to hear your comments and feedback, just post them below. If you would like information on how we could work together, just send me an email HERE.
May Anne xo
Leave a Reply.
As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, May Anne's passion is working with women who have lost themselves in the busyness of life and don't feel comfortable in their skin anymore. She uses a step-by-step program that includes nutrition and lifestyle strategies, along with coaching and support, leading them to feeling vibrant, energetic and confident in their skin, without dieting or spending hours in the kitchen.