Kitchen Cupboard Clean OutRead Now
Before you get started on changes for a healthier you, take a good look at your kitchen.
What’s in your fridge, what's lining your cupboard, the pantry? Get rid of all the things that might tempt you.
Getting rid of the things that will tempt you and replacing them with healthier options that will nurture your body and bring you closer to your goals will help set you up for long-term success.
When I work with clients, a kitchen clean out is one of the first things we talk about.
Since we’re not dieting, but taking steps towards a Lifestyle change, the kitchen clean out is necessary and it makes sense!
The goal isn't to revert back to your old ways after making healthy changes (as you would with a diet), but you will gradually continue taking more and more steps towards a healthier, more vibrant YOU - ongoing, for the rest of your life!
It’s completely unrealistic to expect perfection, and will ultimately lead to failure if it is expected. Therefore, the steps below are meant to be followed ‘as much as possible.”
Personally, I follow the 90/10 rule, where 90% of the time I aim to eat whole, live foods as close to nature as possible, and the other 10% of the time is not such a big deal.
I don’t get upset with myself AT ALL if I decide to have a piece of birthday cake or french fries with my husband at the hockey arena once in awhile, or overeat on vacation.
This is because I know that the other 90% of the time, my body is being nurtured and given the foods it needs to keep me healthy and strong, my blood sugar balanced, my energy levels up and the cravings at bay.
The basics of a kitchen cupboard cleanout:
✔ Toss processed, packaged foods (Understand that there are some packaged foods that are healthier, more natural, and with fewer ingredients. Just be sure to read labels)
– chemical ingredients, artificial sweeteners, and trans fats – your body doesn’t recognize them as food, and will spend a lot of energy processing, detoxifying, and eliminating them. Many of these get stored in your fat cells to protect you, and won't release until you stop consuming them.
✗ Cold cereals with more than 4 grams of sugar per serving ✗ Soda, juice and fruit cocktails or drink mixes ✗ Cookies, cakes and candies ✗ Chips, crackers, and pretzels ✗ Granola bars, breakfast bars and energy bars ✗ Frozen dinners ✗ Bacon, high sodium lunch meats and sausages ✗ Artificial sweeteners and products with artificial sweeteners
A few of my favourite swaps:
✔ Toss old condiments that you hardly use – these are often hidden sources of added sugar, sodium and fat that maybe harbouring mold or other pathogens. Common condiments can be replaced with healthier versions, such as those found in the natural aisle of the grocery store or easily made yourself (Pinterest is amazing for simple, healthy recipes! Just search for “easy, healthy, gluten-free, dairy-free sauces and recipes.”)
✗ Mayonnaise, Ketchup ✗ Salad dressings ✗ Stir fry sauces ✗ Cream cheese and cheese spreads
✔ Replace vegetable or canola oil with organic extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil – use the olive oil for cold or warm dishes and the avocado oil and coconut oil for either cold or hot.
✔ Replace plastic food containers with BPA-free glass containers.
✔ Check your non-stick cookware for scratches and rust. Replace with Teflon-free cookware.
A few of my favourite swaps:
Have you ever done a kitchen clean out? I would love to see before and after pictures! Post them to my Wellness with May Anne Facebook page HERE.
If you're looking to take your health and wellness to the next level, and are feeling confused as to where to start with all of the conflicting information out there, connect with me HERE for a 20 minute Complimentary Discovery Call. We'll chat about what would be the best next step for you and see if we would be a good fit!
Until next time,
As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, my passion is working with women who have lost themselves in the busyness of life and don't feel comfortable in their skin anymore. I use a step-by-step program that includes nutrition and lifestyle strategies, along with coaching and support, leading them to feeling vibrant, energetic and confident in their skin, without dieting or spending hours in the kitchen.
Leave a Reply.
As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, May Anne's passion is working with women who have lost themselves in the busyness of life and don't feel comfortable in their skin anymore. She uses a step-by-step program that includes nutrition and lifestyle strategies, along with coaching and support, leading them to feeling vibrant, energetic and confident in their skin, without dieting or spending hours in the kitchen.